New Thought Library is an online public library with free downloads.
"Unlike so many, we do not peddle the Divine word for profit."
~ 2 Corinthians 2:17
Serving New Thought is pleased to present
Science of Mind
by Ernest Holmes
"Evolution is better than Revolution.
New Thought Library's New Thought Archives encompass a full range of New Thought media from Abrahamic to Vedic reflecting the ongoing evolution of human thought. New Thought's unique inclusion of science, art and philosophy contrasts with 'old thought' Religion. Today's 'New Thought 3.0' teaches personal responsibility, self-development, human rights and compassionate action as essential spiritual paradigms."
~ Avalon de Rossett
Peace Be Unto Thee, Stranger
Evolution of Thought
Intro to Religious Science
Religious Science Vocabulary
Nature of Being
Road to Happiness
Sin and Punishment
Teaching Symbol with Meanings
More Religious Science Vocabulary
Control of Conditions / not a "get-rich-quick scheme"
How Ideas Manifest
The Perfect Whole
Law of Psychic Phenomena
Absolute versus Relative and more ...
Spirit of Sex
Daily Meditations for Self-help and Healing
This library should make your reading, research and writing projects easier.
Fully processed books have yellow page scan links to check text accuracy.
File numbers for .jpg and .htm files etc... match the original page numbers for accuracy and ease of use.
This enables writers to create reference links for research or publication. Use it, send in additions and keep in mind that your support means more free books, better processing and more downloads.
Your PayPal contributions insure this gift lasts forever. Please consider an ongoing PayPal subscription.
This glossary gives the Metaphysical meaning of the words as used in these lessons. It is not claimed that the definition of the words used in this glossary will, in every case, keep faith with the regular dictionary definition. The words are defined in such a say as to bring out the meaning with which they are used in this course of instruction.
It will be necessary for the student to carefully study the meaning of these words, together with the explanation of the words used in the different charts; in this way, the desired objective will be obtained, and there will be no confusion.
- Absolute. ~
"Free from restriction." See Chart No. I.
- Accumulated Consciousness. ~ The sum total of all that one has ever said, thought, done or seen, consciously or un-consciously.
- Active Principle of Life. ~ The Self-Conscious Spirit.
- Affirmation. ~ To state positively and maintain as being true.
- All-good. ~ God or Spirit.
- Alpha. ~ That which is first.
- Analysis. ~ Resolving things into their first elements.
- Androgynous. ~ Having the characteristics of both sexes.
- Apparition. ~ A specter of phantom. The act of appearing."
- Attribute. ~ The being, essence, nature and substance of.
- Aura. ~ The mental atmosphere surrounding a person.
- Axiom. ~ A self-evident truth.
- Axiomatic Reasoning. ~ The deductions drawn from self-evident truths.
- Being. ~ That which has existence.
- Bible. ~ "The sacred books of any race or people."
- Blessing. ~ Constructive thought directed toward any one.
- Body. ~ The outward form.
- Body of the Universe. ~ The manifest Creation, the Body of God, both visible and invisible.
- Causation. ~ That which stands back of things as the Intelligent Cause.
- Change. ~ The appearance and disappearance of forms.
- Christ. ~ The total manifestation of God, from the plant to an angel; from a peanut to the entire Universe of expression. Christ in Man means the idea of Sonship, the Perfect Man as He must be held in the Mind of God.
- Clairaudience. ~ The ability to perceive sounds without the ear.
- Clairvoyance. ~ The ability to see mentally. See without the eye.
- Coexistent. ~ That which exists with.
- Coeternal. ~ Always existing. Uncreated.
- Compensation. ~ The law of balance in the mental world. Cause and effect.
- Complex. ~ The result of mental struggle, conscious or unconscious.
- Conceive. ~ To give birth to an idea.
- Concentration. ~ Bringing the attention to a focus.
- Concept. ~ An idea in mind.
- Concrete Cause. ~ Definite idea.
- Conditions. ~ That which follows cause; the effect of law.
- Conflict. ~ Inner mental struggle, conscious or unconscious.
- Conscious Mind. ~ The self-knowing mind in God or man.
- Consciousness. ~ The perception of existence.
- Contemplate. ~ To know within the self.
- Clairaudience ~ The ability to percieve sounds without the ear.
- Clairvoyance ~ The ability to see mentally. Seeing without the eye.
- Conflict ~ Inner Mental struggle, conscious or unconscious.
- Complex ~ The result of mental struggle, conscious or unconscious.
- Cosmic Conception. ~ The Divine Mind giving birth to Its Ideas.
- Cosmic Consciousness. ~ Perception of The Whole.
- Cosmic Mind. ~ The Mind of God.
- Cosmic Purpose. ~ The ideas of Spirit propelling themselves into outer expression. The desire of Spirit executing itself.
- Cosmic Stuff. ~ The stuff from which all forms are made.
- Cosmic Urge. ~ The desire of Spirit to express Itself.
- Cosmos. ~ The Universal World, visible and invisible.
- Correspondent. ~ The mental picture of cause of anything.
- Creation. ~ Passing of Spirit into form.
- Creative Medium. ~ From the Universal Sense, it is the World-Soul; and from the individual sense, it is the subjective state of man's thought.
- Creative Mind. ~ The Universal Soul or Subjectivity. The Feminine Principle of the Universal Life.
- Creative Series. ~ Any particular and concrete manifestation of Spirit.
- Curse. ~ Mentality used to destroy.
- Evolution. ~ The passing of Spirit into form.
- Existence. ~ Having real being within itself. The cause of its own being, depending upon nothing but itself. Different from subsistence.
- Exoteric. ~ Outer.
- Faculty. ~ Any mode of bodily of mental behavior regarded as implying a natural endowment or acquired power ~ the faculties of seeing, hearing, feeling, etc."
- Familiar Spirits. ~ Refers to the control of consciousness through the instrument of some invisible agency.
- Father-mother God. ~ The Masculine and Feminine Principles of Being as included in the Androgynous One, or First Cause.
- Feminine Principle. ~ The Universal Soul. In man, the subjective or subconscious intelligence.
- First Cause. ~ That which is the cause of all things. The Uncreated, from which all Creation springs. The First Cause is both Masculine and Feminine in Its Nature, and includes the Intermediate Principle of Creative Activity.
- Form. ~ Any definite outline in time and space. Forms may be visible or invisible. In all probability, all space is filled with many kinds of forms.
- Formless Substance. ~ The ultimate stuff from which all forms are created, universally present, in an unformed state, and acted upon by conscious and subconscious intelligence. It is the nature of the Soul to give form to the ideas with which It is impregnated; hence, Soul contains Substance within Itself.
- Function. ~ "The normal action of any organ."
- Ghost. ~ The mental form of any person in the flesh or out of it.
- God. ~ The First Cause, the Great I Am, The Unborn One, The Uncreated, The Absolute or Unconditioned, The One and Only. Man comprehends God only to the degree that he embodies the Divine Nature.
- Habit. ~ Any act that has become a part of the subconscious mentality.
- Halo. ~ The emanation that appears around the head.
- Heaven. ~ A harmonious state of being.
- Hell. ~ A discordant state of being.
- Holy Ghost. ~ The third Person of the Trinity. The Servant of the Spirit. Used in the sense of the World, ~ Soul or Universal Subjectivity.
- Humanity. ~ The multiplied expression of God as people. The many who live in the One.
- Hypnotism. ~ The mental control of another.
- I Am. ~ From the universal standpoint, means God; and from the individual, means the Real Man.
- Idea. ~ A concept. The Ideas of God are the Divine Realizations of His own Being. The real Ideas are eternal.
- Illumination. ~ Inspiration reaching Cosmic state. A direct contact with Reality or God. A complete intuitive perception.
- Illusion of Mind. ~ Means looking at a picture in Mind which may be real, only as a picture, but not as substance. As a picture of a person is not the person, so there are many pictures, drawn in Mind, which are real only as pictures. Mine is not an illusion, but might present us with illusions, unless we are very careful to distinguish the false from the true.
- Image. ~ The mental likeness of anything.
- Imagination. ~ The imaging faculty.
- Immaculate Conception. ~ All things are immaculately conceived, as all things come from the One.
- Immortality. ~ The Deathless Principle of Being in all people.
- Immutable Law. ~ Absolute in its ability to accomplish.
- Impersonal Receptivity. ~ The Creative Mind is impersonal receptivity, in that It receives all seeds of thought.
- Incarnation. ~ The Spirit of God in all Creation.
- Individuality. ~ The Real Idea of man, as distinguished from the outer personality.
- Induce. ~ The act of planting seeds of thought in Creative Mind.
- Inductive Reasoning. ~ Reasoning from effect to cause.
- Indwelling Christ. ~ Generic man, manifesting through the individual. The idea of Divine Sonship. The Real Man. As much of this reality appears as we allow to express through us.
- Indwelling Ego. ~ The Spirit of man as differentiated from his soul or subjective mentality. The Real Man which is the conscious part of him.
- Indwelling God. ~ The Real Man is as much of God as he is able to embody. The Divine Spark, Birthless and Deathless.
- Infinite. ~ That which is beyond all comprehension.
- Inherent Life. ~ Real life as distinguished from latent life.
- Inner Sight. ~ The spiritual capacity of knowing the Truth. It is a mental quality which brings the mentality to a comprehension of Reality.
- Insanity. ~ The loss of the objective faculties.
- Inspiration. ~ From the human side, means contact with the subconscious of the individual or the race. From the Divine, means contact with the Universal Spirit.
- Instinctive Life. ~ The One in everything.
- Instinctive Man. ~ The Spiritual Man.
- Intellect. ~ The reasoning faculty.
- Intuition. ~ The ability to know without any process of reasoning. God knows only intuitively.
- Involution. ~ Ideas involved in Mind. Involution precedes evolution.
- Jesus. ~ The name of a man. Distinguished from the Christ. The man Jesus became the embodiment of the Christ as the human gave way to the Divine Idea of Sonship.
- Karma. ~ The subjective law of cause and effect.
- Latent Life. ~ Life that depends upon reality. Distinguished from inherent life.
- Law. ~ Mind in action.
- Law of Attraction. ~ Subjective tendencies set in motion which are bound to attract.
- Law of Correspondences. ~ The subjective image of a desire. In the subjective world there is an exact image of everything that is in the objective world.
- Levitation. ~ Where the body is lifted without the aid of any physical medium.
- Libido. ~ The emotional urge within life which causes it to express itself.
- Life. ~ The animating Principle of Being.
- Logic. ~ Reasoning which keeps faith with itself.
- Logos. ~ The word of God.
- Love. ~ The givingness of the self.
- Macrocosm. ~ The Universal World.
- Malpractice. ~ The destructive use of Mind Power. It may be conscious or malicious, innocent, or ignorant.
- Man. ~ The objectification of God in the human form. The idea of God manifested in the flesh. The Sonship of the Father. Generic man is the Type, and the personal man is the concrete expression of the Type.
- Mania. ~ An irresistible desire controlling personal action.
- Manifestation. ~ The objectification of ideas.
- Masculine Principle. ~ The Self-Assertive Spirit, either in God or man.
- Material Man. ~ The objective man. Not opposed to Spirit, but the logical outcome of the Self-Knowing Mind.
- Matter. ~ Any form which substance takes in the world of sense and objectivity.
- Maya. ~ World of mental illusion.
- Medium. ~ One who objectifies subjectivity.
- Memory. ~ The subjective retention of ideas.
- Mental Atmosphere. ~ The mental emanation of anything, any person or any place. Everything has some kind of a mental atmosphere.
- Mental Correspondents. ~ The inner image in mind which balances the outer objectification of itself. Every objective thing has an inner mental correspondent.
- Mental Equivalent. ~ Having a subjective idea of the desired experience.
- Mental Image. ~ Subjective likeness.
- Mental Plane. ~ Just between the Spiritual and the physical. The three planes intersphere each other.
- Mental Science. ~ The science of Mind and Spirit. A systematic knowledge of the laws of the Mental and Spiritual World.
- Mental Treatment. ~ The act, art, and science of inducing thought in Mind, which thought, operated upon by Mind, becomes a manifested condition.
- Mentality. ~ An individual use of Universal Mind. There is One Mind, but within this One Mind are many mentalities. The One Mind is God and the mentalities are people.
- Mesmerism. ~ The influence of personality.
- Metaphysical Principle. ~ The Universal Creative Mind; as Spirit, It is conscious; as Law, It is subjective.
- Metaphysics. ~ That which is beyond the known laws of physics.
- Microcosm. ~ The individual world or universe of man.
- Mind. ~ Mind is both conscious and subconscious. Conscious Mind is Spirit, either in God or man. Unconscious Mind is the law of conscious Mind acting and is, therefore, subconscious or subjective.
- Mirror of Matter. ~ The external form of an inner concept.
- Mirror of Mind. ~ The subjective world, reflecting the images of thought that are projected into it by the conscious mind.
- Money. ~ The idea of Spiritual supply, objectified.
- Multiplicity. ~ The many things and people which come from the One. All come from the One, And all live in , and by, the One.
- Mystic. ~ One who senses the Divine Presence.
- Mysticism. ~ Not a mystery, but a mystic sense of the presence of Ultimate Reality.
- Natural Man. ~ Instinctive or Spiritual Man.
- Neutral. ~ Not caring which way it works.
- Neutralizing Thought. ~ The act of mentally erasing thought images.
- Normal. ~ Natural.
- Objectification. ~ The act of objectifying.
- Objective Mind. ~ The conscious mind.
- Objective Plane. ~ The outer world of expression.
- Objective Side of Thought. ~ The conscious side of thinking.
- Obsession. ~ Being controlled by thoughts, ideas, or entities.
- Occult. ~ Hidden.
- Omega. ~ The last.
- Omnipotent. ~ All-powerful.
- Omnipresent. ~ Everywhere present.
- Omniscient. ~ All-knowing.
- Omniscient, Instinctive I Am. ~ God in man and things.
- Particularization. ~ Concrete forms produced by Spirit.
- Passive Receptivity. ~ Willing to receive any and all forms of thought.
- Peace. ~ A state of inner calm.
- Percept. ~ An external object perceived by the mind. Distinguished from a concept which is an inner idea.
- Perfection. ~ The real state of being.
- Personality. ~ The objective evidence of individuality. The man as we see him in the relative world.
- Philosophy. ~ A man's idea of life.
- Planes. ~ Different rates of vibration.
- Plastic. ~ Easily molded.
- Poise. ~ Mental balance.
- Potential. ~ Inherent possibility.
- Poverty. ~ A limited thought.
- Power. ~ The union of peace with poise.
- Practitioner. ~ One who practices mental healing or demonstration.
- Prenatal. ~ Conditions before human birth.
- Primordial Substance. ~ The ultimate formless stuff from which all things come.
- Principle. ~ Any law of nature.
- Prophet. ~ One who prophesies.
- Psyche. ~ Soul or subjective.
- Psychic. ~ Subjective capacity. All people are psychic, but all are not mediums. A medium is one who objectifies the psychic sense.
- Psychic Phenomena. ~ Phenomena of the soul or subjective mentality.
- Psychic World. ~ The world of subjectivity.
- Psycho-analysis. ~ A systematic analysis of the subjective thought.
- Psychology. ~ Study of the workings of the human mind.
- Psychometry. ~ Reading from the soul side of things.
- Purpose. ~ Definite intention.
- Race-suggestion. ~ Human beliefs, operating through the mentality of the individual.
- Reality. ~ The truth about anything.
- Realization. ~ Subjective comprehension of Truth.
- Reason. ~ The mental ability to analyze, dissect and figure out the cause of things. The human mind can reason both inductively and deductively. The Divine Mind can reason only deductively.
- Reincarnation. ~ Rebirth in the flesh.
- Relative. ~ That which depends upon something else.
- Religion. ~ A Man's idea of God or gods.
- Resurrection. ~ Rising from a belief in death.
- Revelation. ~ Becoming consciously aware of hidden things.
- Riches. ~ Idea of abundance.
- Sage. ~ One versed in spiritual truths.
- Saint. ~ A holy man.
- Science. ~ Knowledge of laws and principles.
- Seer. ~ One who sees into causes.
- Self-consciousness. ~ Personally conscious. Distinguished from Cosmic Consciousness, which is a consciousness of the Unity of the Whole.
- Self-existent. ~ Living by virtue of its own being.
- Self-knowing Mind. ~ The conscious mind.
- Self-propelling. ~ Having power within itself.
- Self-realization. ~ A consciousness of the self as a reality.
- Silence. ~ The inner realization of the One Life.
- Simple Consciousness. ~ Consciousness, as in an animal.
- Sin. ~ Missing the mark. There is no sin but a mistake and no punishment but an inevitable consequence.
- Sonship. ~ Man as the Son of God.
- Soul. ~ The Creative Medium of Spirit.
- Soul of the Universe. ~ The Universal Creative Medium.
- Space. ~ The Cosmic World. The distance between two specific forms. Space is a relative condition within the Absolute.
- Specialize. ~ To bring into concrete form.
- Spirit. ~ God, within Whom all spirits exist. The Self-Knowing One. The Conscious Universe. The Absolute.
- Spirit of Man. ~ God in man.
- Spirit of the Universe. ~ The Self-Knowing Mind of God.
- Spirits. ~ Personalities.
- Spiritual. ~ The atmosphere of God.
- Spiritual Consciousness. ~ The realization of the Divine Presence.
- Spiritual Man. ~ Man in a conscious state.
- Spiritual Realization. ~ The realization of the Divine Presence.
- Stream of Consciousness. ~ The automatic, mental emanation of the subjective state of thought.
- Subjective. ~ Beneath the threshold of the conscious. The inner side.
- Subjective Activity. ~ The inner action of the automatic law.
- Subjective Causation. ~ The mental law set in motion.
- Subjectivity of the Universe. ~ The Universal Soul or mental Law.
- Subjective Side of Life. ~ The inner side of life, as law.
- Subjective State of Thought. ~ The sum total of all one's thinking, both conscious and unconscious.
- Subjective Tendency. ~ The subjective trend of thought.
- Subjective to Spirit. ~ The Law is the subjective to the Spirit.
- Sublimate. ~ To transmute energy into another form of action.
- Subsist. ~ To live by virtue of spirit.
- Substance. ~ The formless back of all forms.
- Subconscious. ~ The same as subjective.
- Suggestion. ~ Receiving the thoughts of another. Suggestion accepts the ideas of others and believes in them. It may be conscious or unconscious.
- Symbol. ~ Mental impressions denoting spiritual or mental truths.
- Telekinetic Energy. ~ Moving ponderable objects without physical contact.
- Telepathy. ~ Thought transference.
- The Only. ~ The One Power.
- Theology. ~ That which treats of the nature of God.
- Thought Forms. ~ All thought has definite form on the subjective side of life.
- Thought. ~ The movement of consciousness.
- Time. ~ "Sequence of events in a Unitary Whole."
- Trance. ~ A subjective state.
- Transmutation. ~ Same as sublimation.
- Treatment. ~ The art, act and science of inducing thought on the subjective side of life. Setting the Law in motion.
- Trinity. ~ The Threefold Universe.
- Triune Unity. ~ The Trinity.
- Truth. ~ That which Is.
- Unconscious Memory. ~ Subjective memory.
- Unconscious Thought. ~ Unconscious subjective thought.
- Unity. ~ The Oneness of God and man.
- Universal Law. ~ Divine Principle.
- Universal Mind. ~ The Creative Medium of Spirit.
- Universal Soul. ~ The Universal Subjectivity.
- Universal Spirit. ~ The Conscious Mind of God.
- Universal Subjectivity. ~ The Creative Medium or the Universal Mind.
- Universe. ~ The Cosmic World.
- Vibration. ~ Law in execution.
- Visualization. ~ The art of mentally projecting a thought form into the Universal Creative Medium.
- Word. ~ The thought of God or man.
Links to Additional Media for Science of Mind by Ernest Holmes such as audio and ebooks are located at the bottom of this web page.